Saturday, November 24, 2012

GIC Day Dance

American, Irish, Canadian, South African, British, French, Australian, Korean. It's a crazy amount of fun to share in the talents of Gwangju's active foreigner community, the extent to which was showcased during Gwangju International Community Day earlier this month. Volunteers ran booths offering delectable food items, and the Talent Show was packed with gorgeous and wide-ranging performances. I could only sample the wonders of it all thanks to the nervousness that kicked in before my dance, but what I did catch was fabulous.

It felt wonderful to focus on dance again, if only for that week. My beloved Gwangju Family showed up to cheer and document my performance; and, in true family-fashion, insist that I was worthy of first prize. I did not, in fact, win a prize (or have any knowledge of the judges or their expectations), and watching the video made me squirm a bit because I'd love to do a few things differently. That said, it was enormously enjoyable to take part in the show, and I've posted the dance below, as promised. Thanks go to Brandon and Justin for filming it, and to everyone else who was there to support me!


Can you tell I forgot the last 20 something seconds and made it up on the spot? Oops! :)


To see more of GIC Day, you can fire up your Internet Explorer browsers (the video doesn't work otherwise) and check out the Korean news footage. My friends show up frequently throughout the 10 minute clip, and you can spot my face briefly a couple of times.

 To watch:
1. Paste this into your browser: http://www.ikbc.co.kr/?r=home&c=2%2F24%2F85&uid=159338
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page where you'll see orange arrows and the word "VOD" in a box
3. On the left hand side, click the 1141 video
4. Coverage of GIC Day starts at 23:49

No comments: